Want to know how I keep images safe during a shoot?
Your biggest priority is making sure that your client has exactly the session they are looking for. Also, a high priority is keeping images safe after the session. You have to be sure that the amazing session you had with your clients doesn’t disappear into thin air!
Don’t fall into the trap of “it’ll never happen to me” because it’ll certainly be a trap you fall into if you don’t prepare a head of time. This may or may not be firsthand advice…I thought it would never happen to me, either!
Have you ever had the dreaded fear that somehow you can’t find the client’s images, or that you might have formatted the card before downloading them?! The nerves are real and I want to be sure you never have this feeling!
My best advice is to get a backup routine and an online backup service. Get into a routine. And NEVER break from it!
My best tips & advice for this:
1. Shoot with a camera with dual cards! If one fails, you’ve already got a backup.
2. IMMEDIATELY after returning from a shoot, download all of your images. Don’t wait, don’t make dinner first, etc. Do this FIRST. Every time. You’ll have a peace about having this routine.
3. Save to an external hard drive, in addition to your desktop’s hard rive.
4. If you use a Mac, be sure to have time machine constantly running backups for you. If you use windows, set up automatic backups so you don’t have to think about it!
5. Pay for an online backup service! It’s not only cards and drives that can fail, the items you use can, too. If there was a fire, you lose your laptop, etc…an online backup service ENSURES that you will have your clients images. Creating a remote backup options just in case!
The online backup service I use is Crashplan, Backblaze is another great option!
Don’t fall for the trap, double and triple check that you are keeping images safe and secure.